Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Best Weekend Ever!

The meet-up in Toronto went smashingly, I think. There is something about meeting in person that really helps cement relationships and accelerate networking in a way that even months of corresponding in text (or even by phone or cam) can't achieve.

First, several of us met for a Saturday evening (Novus Ordo) Mass at the St. Michael's Cathedral in Toronto, which is a beautiful gothic building:


We then stayed out till 3AM drinking, eating, talking, wandering around. There was really a lot of energy and bonding and candid sharing; I'd like to think a real meeting of minds and hearts (I'm in the blue):

Sunday morning a larger group went to Solemn Mass in the Old Rite at St. Vincent de Paul (Oratorian) church. I did not know it was going to be Solemn, so that was a nice surprise (given the ubiquity of the missa cantata):


Very nice choir too. After that we went for some lunch and drinks:

Some of us then basically spent the whole rest of the day together. We walked around and as evening fell went to Vespers/Benediction at another beautiful Oratorian church, Holy Family.

Then it was quite a marathon night with Ethiopian food for dinner, drinking, hookah/shisha (my first time!), more drinking, all until like 3AM again. Which meant that, from Saturday evening until early Monday morning...some of us basically spent, excluding a short break for sleep, over 36 hours straight together:


All in all, a great success. It was so nice to see old friends again and to meet others in person for the first time (and hopefully not the last!)

Allāhu Akbar: God is great!

3 comments:

Tc said...

1. Fantastic liturgy
2. Copious amounts of booze
3. Shisha
4. Carousing until 3a

... my kind of weekend.

As-salámu ‘aláikum!

Tony said...

I think it was providential that we had the opportunity to all meet. I had a blast getting to know you all - and may it not be the last time. I consider myself blessed!

JD said...

It was quite the experience for me as well. The energy and passion for the Faith was really in the air. I think we were as drunk on that as we were on the beer...